English Audio Guide

1. 華山歷史總覽



19141945:日治造酒場時期


華山1914文化創意產業園區,兆基於1914年,園區前身為造酒場與樟腦場。造酒場歷史始於1914年(日治大正3年)由日人阿部三男與藤本鐵治合夥創辦「芳釀社」,產銷當時深受歡迎的「蝴蝶蘭」牌清酒,後由資本家阿部幸之助擴大投資,改組為「日本芳釀株式會社」,陸續增建園區各廠房,高峰期雇用員工多達400人,是當時台灣最大的造酒場之一。

    1922年台北實施町名改正,造酒場地址改為「樺山町80番地」。同年又實施酒專賣,專賣局先是租用當時逐漸沒落的日本芳釀,7年後的1929年正式收購,改名「台灣總督府專賣局台北酒工場」,成為官方直營的造酒場。隨即在1931至33年間大興土木,展開「新工場建設時期」,今日園區所見廠房,幾乎都是此一時期所建。

    樟腦場即今日園區西北角的紅磚六合院,始建於1918年2 月(日治大正7年),為日本樟腦株式會社臺北支店工場,產銷精製樟腦。1930年(日治昭和5年)再擴建工場一座以試製精製粉末樟腦。此樟腦工場與臺灣總督府專賣局南門工場(今國定古蹟專賣局臺北樟腦廠)一為民營、一為官營,是日治中期臺灣僅有的兩處從事樟腦加工提煉的現代化工廠。

1945~1987:台灣省菸酒公賣局時期


    二戰終結,台灣由中華民國行政長官公署接收,酒與樟腦繼續專賣。1946年,專賣局接收台北酒工場與樟腦工場。「樺山」改為「華山」,「工場」改為「工廠」。此後一直到1987年遷廠林口,台北酒廠歷經多次改組與更名,其中用得最久的是1957年到1975年的「台北第一酒廠」,長達18年;第二長的是1975到1987年的「台北酒廠」,維持了12年。

台北酒廠早年生產價格低廉、以樹薯為原料的「太白酒」,成為一般民眾日常消費的最愛,1950年代中期;米酒的產量逐漸增加,並配合政府政策,研發各種水果酒,開始了台北酒廠的黃金時代,一度擁有「水果酒工廠」的暱稱。
    樟腦工廠則因市場日漸萎縮,在1967年廢除樟腦專賣後停產,廠房與土地移交台北第一酒廠接管,之後部分建築物曾作為酒廠各單位之辦公室,倉庫區則作為存放瓶蓋、酒標等材料倉庫,也有部分建築物則因審計部大樓的興建而遭到拆除。

19871999:閒置時期


    由於鬧區地價飆升以及製酒產生的水污染問題不易解決,公賣局於1987年4月1日將台北酒廠遷至林口工業區,原址進入閒置時期。1992年,立法院投票同意圈定此地為新院用址,成為立法院機關預定地,但爭議不斷,最後作罷。

    1997年藝術家湯皇珍、魏雪娥等人發現廢棄的台北酒廠很適合做為多元藝文展演空間,並為此成立「華山藝術特區促進會」,積極爭取做為藝文展演空間。同年12月4日,小劇場團體金枝演社在米酒作業場首演《古國之神──祭特洛伊》,導演王榮裕於次日以「竊佔國土」的罪名被拘提,引起軒然大波,成為華山變身為文創園區的重大轉折。

19992004:藝文特區時期


     特洛伊事件之後,藝術家的構想獲得省政府文化處積極回應,主動與公賣局協商並獲成功,由公賣局將舊台北酒廠部分建物及空地委託省文化處代管,主要提供藝文及展演等相關活動使用。

    1998年10月,華山藝文特區促進會正式改組成為具有社團法人地位的「中華民國藝術文化環境改造協會」(簡稱環改會)。1999年1月,環改會在文化部(文建會)委託下接手華山的營運管理,正式以「華山藝文特區」之名登場,華山的閒置時期終於結束。自1999年1月至2003年11月環改會交出經營棒子為止,將近5年的時間,華山藝文特區舉辦的展演活動多達4000多場。至此華山也以藝文特區的概念深深烙印在許多大眾記憶之中。

2004:文化創意產業園區時期


    2002年4月,行政院六年經建計畫裁定,由北至南將設置包括華山在內的5個「創意文化園區」委託民間經營。緊接著又在6月將「華山創意文化園區」納入《挑戰2008國家發展重點計畫》之一,著手將「華山藝文特區」轉型為「華山創意文化園區」。

     2003年,橘園國際藝術策展公司通過文化部(文建會)公開徵求之評選,策畫華山的展演活動,為期一年。期滿之後,園區在2005年封園整修,拆除圍牆、修復古蹟與歷史建築。隨後在2007年4月公開徵選華山ROT案營運團隊。
2007年8月,由遠流出版事業股份有限公司領銜的臺灣文創發展股份有限公司入主經營,於同年12月6日正式營運,改以「華山1914文創園區」為通稱,服務公眾。至此華山經歷酒廠、閒置空地、藝文特區等轉變,在2007年開始以「華山1914文化創意產業園區」的風貌再次展現自身的風華與韻味,秉持華山大家長-王榮文董事長的經營理念「一本大書、一個舞台、一種風景、一所學校」,華山日益茁壯與蓬勃發展。

     2014年華山歡度百歲週年,從1914到2014年,華山走過精采的百年,也走過風雨的百年,未來將以台灣文創旗艦基地的願景出發,積極接軌國際,結合文化資產活化與再生的概念,透過文化、創意、藝術與設計等元素的包裝與置入,期待為全體民眾的未來,創造一個更美好的文創紀元。

 

1. History of Huashan

 1914~1945: The Wine Factory under Japanese Rule



The building complex of the Huashan 1914 Creative Park nowadays was first built in 1914 as wine and camphor factories. The story all began with a winemaking company co-founded by Japanese businessmen Abe Sanan and Fujimoto Tetsuji in 1914, producing one of the most popular wines at that time - Orchid Sake. With investment by Abe Konosuke, the company went from a small winemaker to a full-fledged enterprise. More factories were built and it became one the top wine producers in Taiwan, employing more than 400 people.

In 1922 districts of Taipei went through name changes and the address of factory became No. 80, Kabayama District. The government also exercised a monopoly over all alcohol products the same year and rented the  Huashan wine factory that was on the edge of elimination as the temporary office. In 1929, the government officially acquired the place and turned it into the state-run Taipei Wine Factory under the Monopoly Bureau of Taiwan Governor General Office. More buildings were established from 1931 to 1933 and most of the structures existing today were accomplished in this so-called New Factory Era.

The camphor factory was located in the red-brick courtyard house on the north-western side of the complex. It was built in February of 1918 as the Taipei branch of its mother company in Japan, manufacturing and distributing camphor balls. In 1930, another one was built focusing on the making of camphor powder. The private-run factory at Huashan along with the state-run South-Gate factory under the Monopoly Bureau of Taiwan Governor General Office (now national historic site) were the only two modern camphor processing and manufacturing factories in Taiwan.

 

1945~1987: Takeover by Taiwan Tobacco and Wine Monopoly Bureau



After the World War II, Taiwan was back to the rule of the Republic of China (R.O.C) Provincial Administrative Executive Office while alcohol and camphor remained monopolies of the government. The Taiwan Tobacco and Wine Monopoly Bureau therefore took over the Taipei Wine Factory and the camphor factory, changing their names originally in Japanese into Chinese. This only marked the first name change of the factory. It used to be the Taipei First Wine Factory from 1957 to 1975 and the Taipei Wine Factory from 1975 to 1987.

In early years, the Taipei Wine Factory manufactured the Taibai Wine made of sweet potatoes. It was inexpensive and soon became one of the favorites for  the general public. In the mid-1950’s, the factory expanded the production of rice wine and tried to develop various kinds of fruit wines due to government policy, earning the name of Fruit Wine Factory. It was also of the factory’s goldenage.   

The camphor factory on the other hand was on the wane due to decreasing market demand. Monopoly over camphor was lifted in 1967 and ownership of its warehouses were turned to the hands of the Taipei First Wine Factory. Some buildings were used as its offices whereas the warehouses were to store materials, such as bottle lids and labels. Some buildings were dismantled because of the construction of National Audit Office building.

 

1987~1999: Abandonment Period 



Given the rising price of downtown area and difficulty to deal with water pollution in the winemaking process, the monopoly bureau moved the Taipei Wine Factory to the Linkuo Industrial Park on April 1 of 1987 and Huashan was left for no particular use. In 1992, the Legislative Yuan (the Congress) had voted unanimously to make it the new site for its office but the plan was later scrapped due to arising protest.

In 1997, Tang Huang-Chen, Wei Shuei-Er and other artists discovered this deserted factory deep in the heart of Taipei, wanting to turn it into an alternative space for the arts . The Promotion Association for Huanshan Arts Center was therefore initiated. On December 4, the Golden Bough Theater’s act God: Ritual for Troy debuted at the Rice Wine Factory and the director Wang Yu-Rong was arrested for occupying government owned land the following day, stirring up a storm of controversy in the society and this very event later became the deciding moment for Huashan’s future development.

 

1999~2004: Huashan Arts and Cultural Center



The Troy event caught attention of the society and the vision proposed by local artists won the support of the department of cultural affairs of provincial government that successfully obtained the approval of the monopoly bureau to take care of some of the buildings of the Taipei Wine Factory and idle spaces, transforming them into the best stage for various cultural activities.

In October of 1998, the promotion association was upgraded into the Association of Culture Environment Reform Taiwan to oversee the restoration of the factory into an arts center, and later in January of 1999 the Council for Cultural Affairs (now the Ministry of Culture) officially granted the green light for the association to take over the operation of Huanshan and renamed the place Huashan Arts and Cultural Center,ending to the idle period. As many as 4,000 events were held when Huashan was run by the association from January of 1999 to November of 2003, building Huashan’s name as an important hub for cultural and arts events.

 

2004: Huashan Creative Park




According to the six year project launched by the Executive Yuan (the congress) in April of 2002, five creative parks including Huanshan would be established throughout Taiwan. Huashan later was also included in the National Development Project for 2008 in June and renamed again as the Huanshan Creative Park.

L’Orangerie International Consultant Co. Ltd. was selected through public assessment conducted by the Council for Cultural Affairs (now the MOC) in 2003 and designated to plan the event schedule for one single year. After that, the park was closed in 2005 for a makeover, including demolition and restoration of historic sites and buildings. A bidding  in search for the ROT operation team was opened in April of 2007. The Taiwan Cultural-Creative Development Co. Ltd., a subsidiary of the Yuan Liou Publishing Co. Ltd. was awarded the bid and started the operation on December 6 the same year. The place was once again renamed as the Huashan 1914 Creative Park. Having gone through different periods, Huashan turned over a new leaf in 2007 and since then continued to grow just like the president of the park Wang Jung-Wen envisions, as a big book, a stage, a scenery and a school.  

From 1914 to 2014, Huashan is celebrating its 100th centennial. It is a spectacular century that has seen challenges and opportunities. It aims aimed to be the pioneer of Taiwan’s cultural development, trying to be in sync with the international community. It out to rejuvenate and cultural resources as well as harmonize all related elements such as culture, creativity, art and design to usher in an ever-glamorous future.